Our Department maintains a fleet of thirteen vehicles for emergency and non-emergency use responding out of 2 strategically located stations. This includes 3 engines, 2 aerial trucks, 2 ambulances, 2 specialty team trailer, 2 support-multi-purpose vehicles and 2 administrative vehicles.
Engine 76 is a 1989 Emergency One fire pumper serving as the Department’s primary fire response unit responding from Station # 2 in the Industrial District. This vehicle can carry a crew of 6 and has a 1500 GPM pump, and a 500 gallon water tank. This vehicle is equipped with all the required firefighting equipment.
Engine 78 is a 1978 Hendrickson / FMC fire pumper serving as the Department’s back-up unit and automatic aid response vehicle responding from Station # 1. This vehicle can carry a crew of 4 and has a 1500 GPM pump and a 500 gallon water tank. This vehicle is equipped with all the required firefighting equipment.
Engine 77 is a 1972 American Fire Apparatus fire pumper currently assigned to reserve duty. The vehicle can carry a crew of 4 and has a 1250 GPM pump and a 500 gallon water tank.
Truck 75 is a 2000 American La France / LTI and is the Department’s newest firefighting vehicle. This vehicle can carry a crew of 6 and is equipped with a 75 foot ladder, 2000 GPM pump, 500 gallon water tank, and a 40 gallon foam tank. This vehicle is equipped with all of the required firefighting equipment, auxiliary lighting and power and is the primary firefighting response vehicle responding from Station # 1.
Ambulance 81 and Ambulance 84 are the Department’s primary mobile intensive care units with one responding from Station # 1 and one responding from Station # 2. Both vehicles are 1996 International / Medtec units and are equipped with all Advanced Life Support medical equipment as required by the Illinois Department of Public Health and the South Cook County Emergency Medical System. In addition to medical equipment, each unit also carries protective clothing, SCBAs and some firefighting equipment for the two-member crew assigned.
Specialty Team Trailers
Hazardous Materials Response Team trailer was donated to the Department by Hydrite Chemical Company, Mc Intyre and the former Takasago plants located in the Industrial District of the Village. This trailer is equipped with essential supplies required to identify, control and mitigate hazardous material incidents both within the Village of University Park and the MABAS 27 region.
Underwater Rescue / Recovery Dive Team trailer was donated to the MABAS 27 Fire Chief’s Association by TMW towing of Crete. This trailer is stocked with equipment to provide underwater rescue and recovery operations by trained SCUBA divers both within the Village of University Park and the MABAS 271 region.
Support / Multi-Purpose
Car 79 is a 1992 Ford Tempo which is used by the fire inspectors on an as needed basis. It also serves as a station vehicle for personnel assigned to Station # 2 and for personnel to utilize to attend Department mandated outside training.
Car 80 is a 2004 Ford F-250 4x4 pick-up truck assigned to Station # 1. This vehicle was purchased with a number of tasks in mind, not the least of which is the transportation of the Department’s Hazardous Materials Response trailer and the Underwater Rescue / Recovery Dive trailer. As the vehicle is also 4-wheel drive, it possesses the capability to respond during severe snow and off road situations.
MABAS 27 is comprised of 16 area fire departments assisting one another during major emergencies.
Car 86 is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee currently assigned to the Deputy Fire Chief for administrative and emergency response purposes. The Deputy Chief responds to structure fires, multi-vehicle accidents, hazardous materials incidents and multiple ambulance calls within the Village and to some incidents in surrounding communities on mutual aid requests. The Deputy Chief also utilizes the vehicle during inspection activities such as new construction inspections, fire inspections and code enforcement inspections.
Car 97 is a 2000 Ford Excursion currently assigned to the Fire Chief
for administrative and emergency response purposes. The Fire Chief responds to structure fires, multi-vehicle accidents, hazardous materials incidents and multiple ambulance calls within the Village and to some incidents in surrounding communities on mutual aid requests Additionally, the Fire Chief utilizes the vehicle to attend the numerous meetings required of his position throughout the Village and the region. As the Fire Chief is also the Building Official the vehicle is used during inspection activities such as new construction inspections, fire inspections and code enforcement inspections.
Station # 1 located at
698 Burnham Dr. (Map 1) in the residential section of the Village was erected in 1971 and originally designed to be the headquarters station. Due to the national economic recession at the time, the station soon became home to the Fire Department, the Police Department and the Village Hall. Recently the Police Department has constructed their own separate facility and plans to rehab the north section of the building for Fire Department living quarters and offices are underway. This station is currently home to 2 fulltime staff on duty each day in addition to the Paid-On-Call Division, and administrative offices. Apparatus assigned currently include, Engine 78, Truck 75, Car 80, an ALS Ambulance, the Hazardous Materials Response Trailer, the Underwater Rescue / Recovery Trailer and Reserve Engine 77.
Station # 2 located at 995 Central Avenue in the industrial section of the Village, was erected in 1988 to provide immediate fire / emergency medical care to the rapidly developing industrial section of the community. This station is currently home to 2 fulltime staff on duty each day in addition to the Fire Chief’s office. Apparatus assigned currently include Engine 76, Truck 85, Car 79 and an ALS Ambulance.